Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Sunday, April 3, 2011

YouTube

As we are all aware, YouTube is one of the most popular websites after google and facebook. All this while I haven't been an active user bcoz I didn't want to broadcast anything on it. Recently I found it to be a very useful channel which I can use it as a teaching aid for Emily for things that we do not have the knowledge or experience to share with her. To quote 2 examples : 1) Playing piano - This is the skillset that hubby and I do not have. We have a lot of hard time trying to instill the interests in her as she finds practicing the piano to be a boring activity. However after I started sharing video clips of kids and adults who could play so well, I noticed that she has become more motivated and wanted to play well like them too. In fact she asked me how do these pianist play so well, my simple answer to her is, many hours of practice.
2) Ballet - Another skillset that neither of us have too :). I found many video clips which have dances similar to those she will be performing in her grade 1 exam soon. At least from the clips, I can point out to her what steps are incorrectly danced by her and she could also learn from those good dancers.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I agreed with you that YouTube can be a powerful tool in teaching certain skills/methods.

    Recently, William has been given an assignment from his teacher to fold a paper airplane that can fly longest in the air. Since we are so busy with the new house's stuffs, we just asked him to wait till we are free later, but he can't wait any longer cause of deadline. So, he searched from YouTube and found many origami video clips from there. And I saw both him and his brother were learning hard by referring the clips.

    End up, they had folded several kinds of paper plane. And honestly, I think they are pretty good. Neither husband and I know how to make them.

    So, yeah, YouTube is very useful !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed that your sons can search for what they need on youtube. You have really trained them well.

    ReplyDelete